We started working on our yard early this summer, and I’m happy to say that our front yard finally passed my sniff test just in time to pull together a thrifty Halloween porch vignette for the trick-or-treaters.
I’m probably stretching it by using the word porch, but I’m definitely not exaggerating about the thrifty part. I included three mismatched jack o’lanterns.
Several still-thriving potted plants were pulled from Ken’s herb garden as filler.
Then there’s my favorite find of all, this black wooden cat sneaking out from behind the vintage metal chair.
How cute is he?
Now, if I may, I’m going to claim bragging rights for what I’ve been working on this summer? It isn’t a major change because progress around here tends to be slow, but it took a lot of sweat and a few pulled back muscles to update our front yard thus far.
Here is the before shot of the front yard when you pull back to the street.
And this is right after I planted the mailbox garden.
Front yard update (adding a flower bed)
Here is the after shot and how it looks today.
I planted mostly native Illinois prairie flowers and grasses (perennials) and spent many a night after work watering the plants this summer to get them started on their way. These plants are all babies now, but in time they will fill out and fill up. Because the plants are native to the crazy summer climate we have here on the prairie, they are also flood and drought resistant.
Potted mums were added for fall color, but surprisingly, I got some late blooms, as well.
Front yard update for under $100.
Breaking it down. The dirt and mulch totaled $50. The shovels and tarps to dig the flower bed came to $30. The plants I purchased myself were $20. The plant clippings my niece gave me were FREE and abundant.
Thank you, Li’l Mary xo
I like to think of diy projects as phases. You may not be where you want to be, but it doesn’t mean you can’t sit back and enjoy where your at for the moment or season.
Have a safe and happy Halloween.