One easy way to update a room inexpensively is to cover your current throw pillows with new pillow covers. They can often cost less than half the price of buying all new decorative accent pillows.
The problem is, pillows covers aren’t as readily available to buy in stores like accent pillows are. And even those are getting harder and harder to find at a store in large collections. But that’s a topic for another day.
Meanwhile, in trying to find new pillow covers, I went on an online shopping search. Which felt was almost like going around the world in 80 days, it was so overwhelming. But the good news is, I was finally able to find just the right combination of colors, patterns, and sizes to gel with the look I wanted for our living room.
Since I found the whole experience of trying to figure out where to find pillow covers online rather challenging amid the gigantic sea of options, I decided to put together a list that can hopefully help others avoid some of the frustration I went through.
The Best and Most Simplified List of Where to Find Throw Pillow Covers Online
This post contains some affiliate links. If you purchase something after clicking on one of the links, I may received a small commission, but you won’t pay a penny more. Read my full disclosure, here
Here is a reliable list of six online sources for both decorative throw pillow covers and inserts. This list includes a price comparison for a standard size pillow cover and pillow insert, pros and cons, ease of shopping experience, features and variations, and tips for getting the best price. Plus additional information that should help you determine the right place to start shopping for pillow covers in the fastest amount of time.
Note: Each online store offers some either a shopping cart or wish list option that you can save your favorite choices to for later reference. This does require you to create an account with the store. In many cases you can use your Facebook or Twitter account to login, but you can also create an account with your email address.
Smaller Shop Sources for Decorative Throw Pillow Covers and Inserts Online
Simple collection of modern patterns and solids. Small, medium and larger sizes to choose from. Best prices all-around.
- Average 20” x 20” feather pillow insert $ 6.00
- Average 20” x 20” pillow cover $ 6.00 – $ 15.00
- Ability to see, feel, touch in person before buying * if you live near one of their locations.
- Lowest prices around at standard price listing.
- Variety of coordinating colors and patterns that make it easy to choose from.
- Larger and smaller pillow cover and inserts sizes overall.
- Shopping experience (online) allows for staying focused on the pillow selection without too many distractions.
- Option to create multiple wish lists to help you categorize your selections.
- Limited style, colors and collection
- Not necessarily unique as IKEA is a very popular brand, ie: Your family, friends or a neighbor may have the same pillows as you. Not that there’s anything actually wrong with that 😉
Limited collection of both classic and trendy styles offered in a few standard pillow cover sizes. Great value, especially during their bi-monthly sale.
- Average 18” x 18” feather pillow insert $ 20.00 ($10.00 when on sale)
- Average 18” x 18” pillow cover $ 10.00 – $ 20.00 ($5.00 – $10.00 when on sale)
- Online shopping site is easy to navigate through. Not overwhelming.
- Store runs a 50% off sale on pillows, covers and inserts about every 4-8 weeks
- Savable shopping cart to select and save your choices.
- Selection offers both on-trend and more classic styles.
- More limited collection of styles, patterns, colors compared to the larger competitors.
- Limited collection of pillow cover sizes. The most popular offering is the 18” x 18” square.
- You will have to wait for the sale to be offered to get the best price (although it was worth it in my experience.)
- No option for multiple wish lists, you can only create a savable shopping cart.
Trendy, but basic smaller grouping of pillow covers which features the Make-Your-Own-Pillow line of both pillow inserts and decorative throw pillow cases.
- Average 20” x 20” feather pillow insert $ 18.00
- Average 20” x 20” pillow cover $ 15.00 – $ 25.00
- Available to see-in-store, * if you live near one of their locations.
- Online shopping venue is medium-easy to use, allowing you to stay focused.
- On-trend styles and colors without too many choices.
- Large selection of solid color options.
- Features the “Make-Your-Own-Pillow” line
- Wish list creation option.
- Slightly dull and generic looking fabrics within the lower price range.
Larger Shop Online Sources for Cushion Inserts and Covers
Best feature: Amazon’s very low priced seasonal and holiday grouped collections. May also be the largest gathering of pre-made throw pillow covers online.
- Average 20” x 20” feather pillow insert $ 10.00 – $ 15.00
- Average 20” x 20” pillow cover $ 5.00 – $ 30.00
- Extremely large selection of styles, colors, and patterns to choose from.
- Biggest selection of inexpensive seasonal and holiday styles and grouped selections.
- Fast/ Free shipping with a Prime membership option ( usually free 2 day shipping).
- Frequent sale offers and options.
- Wish list option to help you find, save and narrow down your choices.
- Trying to coordinate styles, colors and pillow cover sizes can be overwhelming due to the large offering and the manner in which the online program suggests other shopping options.
- Cannot feel, touch and see in person before buying.
Wayfair offers near to the most of the “what’s in” style on the market. A massive collection that is slightly more expensive but perhaps the most inline with the current, popular style trends of the day.
- Average 20” x 20” feather pillow insert $ 18.00
- Average 20” x 20” pillow cover $ 20.00 – $ 60.00
- Carries a huge variety of current trend styles
- Frequent sale offerings
- Wish list option to create a collection of your favorite choices,
- Overwhelming options that are not grouped together particularly well. This can make it difficult to visualize and coordinate a collection in a timely fashion.
- Higher prices are comparable to buying all new throw pillows from some other online venues.
The majority of Etsy pillow covers are not pre-made, but sewn-to-order. The world is your pillow cover oyster with Etsy. Just keep in mind that the more unique you go, the more costly your total might be . Find a seller that offers the fabric styles you prefer within your price range and you may have found yourself a seamstress that is willing to make other products for you in the future, as well.
- Average 20” x 20” feather pillow insert $ 20.00
- Average 20” x 20” pillow cover $ 16.00 – $ 139.00
- Extremely large collection from a wide variety of sellers/makers.
- Many made-to-order sellers which offer a more unique style.
- Collections grouped together by color and style, which can help you create a coordinated arrangement in much less time..
- Ability to have almost any color, fabric, pattern, shape and size made to your preference.
- Wish list option for saving your favorites.
- Because there are so many sellers and choices, it can be overwhelming to shop for what you are looking for, at least at first.
- The more unique you go, the pricier it can be.
- Longer delivery time due to pillow covers often being handmade.
Hopefully this list will help you narrow down where to start looking for pillow covers, as well as features to focus on as you shop so that you know whether or not that online store is for you.