Can we talk apples for a minute? And ways to use them up if you don’t think you’re going to eat them in the regular fashion, as in, grab one in-hand, polish it and take a bite.
Apple season comes and goes fast. I am particularly fond of this fruit, so I often end up with more apples than I know what to do with. My go-to option is to slice one up and slather on the peanut butter, but the last few bags I purchased from the grocery store were actually kind of tasteless and/or mealy.
I did buy the bags that were on sale, and that may have been the problem. I avoided the bag of sale apples on this last purchase, and finally, the apples taste like… well, they taste like apples.
Admittedly, I’ve eaten some of the “bad” apples because I found that if I loaded on enough peanut butter, I could manage to choke them down, but honestly, it wasn’t very enjoyable.
Common sense would tell me that I could return the bag of apples back to the store. But. I have not done that.
So, I still have a basket full of not-so-tempting apples that I’m determined to use up.
And here are 25 uses for apples that I can choose from, and so can you. Some involve cooking, but there’s plenty of other creative ways to use them so they don’t just go to waste.
25 uses for apples that are slightly overripe, mealy, sour, or bruised
Baking or Cooking
Note: Mealy apples are not recommended for apple pies, but should be fine used in breads, muffins, and baked apple-type recipes.
- Chop or slice and add into pancakes or muffins. We’ve added to pancakes with a dash of cinnamon before and they really tasty.
- Core out the middles and make baked apples.
- Slice them up and indulge by making this southern fried apple recipe.
- Bake apple bread. This recipe looks amazing (YUM, and it’s the one I’ll be making.)
- Make applesauce – because a little sugar and cinnamon can solve almost any problem.
- Make an Apple Smoothie, scroll down to the bottom for the recipe –>
Ways to use apples into your fall decor and/or party plan
- Decorate a mantel, ledge, or wreath with apples.
- Incorporate them into your table setting for a dinner party.
- Write names or words on them to use as name place markers for a table setting.
- Core out the tops, add a tea light and turn them into apple candles.
- Create an apple party bar with apple slicers and apple fixins’
- Make a floating apple centerpiece with apples and floating candles
- Slice, dehydrate and string them into an apple garland (this idea includes a great tutorial for dehydrating apples.)
- Slice, dehydrate then add them into a simmering potpourri.
Easy ideas for Halloween games and decorations with apples
- Play the Bob for Apple’s game.
- Play the apple toss game (like bozo buckets, but with apples.)
- Instead of the hot potato game, turn it into the “hot apple game.”
- Slice them in half and let the kids make apple stamp art with paper and craft paint.
- Mix up a batch of non-alcoholic shrunken apple head punch.
- Creep out your friends and family with these shrunken apple fingers in a jar.
Other uses for extra apples that are ripe, overripe, mealy, sour, or bruised
- Grate an apple and use it as a facial mask or cleanser.
- Add a small slice to a bag of hardened brown sugar.
- Rest a small slice on or near a partially eaten cake to keep it fresher longer.
- Feed some to the wildlife in your yard (ie: squirrels and birds, but only small portions at a time.)
- Put them into your compost bin. Your garden will thank you next year.
- Season the air at a campfire party by wrapping them into a foil packet with cinnamon and orange juice. Toss the foil packet on the coals as you would a campfire foil packet dinner (50-60 minutes, flipping over every so often.) Remove from the coals and eat them or just enjoy the great aroma they create while roasting in the fire.
These all look like such fun ideas! My plan is to make several batches of apple bread and try those apple candles. How would you be most tempted to use up your apples?
More DIY ideas with apples
- Apple slicing station and party bar idea
- How to add your own message on an apple and still eat them
- Festive Fall apple decor and party decoration ideas
Want to remember these ideas? >> Pin or share on Facebook so you can find it again later >>