Here is a simple idea for how to make chalkboard signs from painted box lids! If you have a few box lids, you are half way there, and if you have some chalkboard paint and plain white chalk, then you’re just about home free. I decorated these lids with Fall sayings and what not, but they can be erased and re-chalked (is that a word?) for any season or no season at all.
Chalkboard painted box lids
1) Find some plain old box tops or lids. For my project, I used shoe box lids, but most box lids will work. Just make sure it isn’t too flimsy.
2) Lay down a tarp and paint the outside of the box tops or lids with a few coats of chalkboard paint. You can use a paint brush, foam brush or small paint roller.
3) To turn it into a hanging sign, cut a piece of twine that is a few inches longer than the width of the box lid. Flip the box lid over and hot glue the twine to both sides of the inside of the lid.
4) Last step, write out your sayings with plain old white chalk……. and your done!
Tip (optional): To make the box lids a little more sturdy for hanging, apply several coats of decoupage on the inside of the box lids.
Like this idea? Share it to save for later!
I like that they work like a faux canvas, but I can change them up as the season’s change.
One of the box tops was a little flimsy, so I don’t think that one would hang well on the wall, but the other two box lids are pretty sturdy and will hang, no problem on the wall.
More Easy Chalkboard Ideas to Love
- Chalkboard Painted Mini Drawer Organizer
- Cabinet with a Chalkboard Painted Counter Top
- Simple DIY Sign: Chalkboard Painted Shoe Box Lids
- How to Make Your Own Chalkboard Painted Gift Boxes
- Mix-Matched Chalkboard Painted Storage Baskets
And, here is, yet, another chalkboard painting idea that looks like wood grain:
Thanks y’all for stopping by (Hey, I couldn’t resist you guys!!) Amy
This post was updated on 9/7/2019
Linking up at:
Love it! and I’ll be right over for that $3 hayride…
SheilaG @ Plum Doodles says
Wow, I love the chalkboard lids- great idea, Amy.
Now that is really clever. I’m kind of mad that I just threw away 3 boxes with lids that would have been perfect for this. On the other hand…I need some new tennis shoes anyway!
Love the lids….such a great idea!
Amy you’re a genius, what a fabulous idea!
Feral Turtle says
What a great idea! I am thinking you should become a home stager! You always have such gorgeous photos of your ideas. Everything is staged perfectly for your shots!
heather f says
This is so easy and fun!! Love it!
Gonna pin when I get to the big girl computer. Love this idea.
Sherry@Thrift My House says
I love your handwriting! This is a very thrifty idea! I LOVE it!
What a clever way to decorate! I LOVE this….pinned on one of my group boards and tweeted so hopefully others will find this great post!
So cute and simple! Also love that you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg to decorate! lol
If lid is flimsy, attach it to a thin piece of wood on the inside.
I love that idea, Carol. Thanks for sharing!
Linda @ Mixed Kreations says
What a great idea! Clever Way to reuse those lids. You could use them for signage at craft shows too! Pinning to my chalkboard board! Thanks for sharing!
What a creative use of chalkboard paint!! I’d love if you shared this at the Create with Me link party! I’m featuring chalkboard projects this month at http://www.lovecreatecelebrate.com 🙂